Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Who´s the Bigger Ass-Hole, vol. 4 (and a few other things)

Sorry to those of you who signed on looking for some news about Spain. You´re just going to have to wait until after I have a little fun debating rather than my traditional column of two people, one person´s two ass-hole actions. The man is question, is, of course, a footballer: Emmanuel Adebayor.

The Togolese international striker seemed to have had more than one rush of blood to the head a week and a half ago when he enountered his former team, Arsenal. It was a real blockbuster of a game, as was the Manchester Derby this past weekend, but Emmanuel Adebayor was less blockbuster than facebuster, after his stamp on former teammate´s, Robin van Persie´s face left rather a lot of blood and the pretty boy van Persie anything but pretty.

While any partially observant collection of referees would have sent Adebayor straight home, this collection seemed to have inherited what I´ll simply refer to as a "Rick Bloom" level of observancy. The stamp wasn´t even ruled a foul, and play was allowed to continue.

Arsenal fans, already enraged by the fact that Adebayor got away (for then) with such a malicious act, were further enraged when the referee´s error cost them dearly, as Adebayor scored what turned out to be the winner. As if slaughtering van Persie´s face weren´t enough debauchery for one day, Adebayor sprinted the full length of the pitch to celebrate his goal immediately in front of the visiting Arsenal fans.

So, I leave it to you, my four readers... who´s the bigger ass-hole - Adebayor (stamp) or Adebayor (celebration)?

Now for the ridiculous people who actually are interested in my day to day life (I´ve still yet to figure out why...), let me throw you a bone or two...

I chewed gum today. It was orbit. It tasted like mint. I enjoyed it. Yummmm. Satisfied? I can´t understand why not, but here´s something else.

Yesterday, several of us had a meeting with Valentín someone-or-other who is the director of the Málaga branch of El Movimiento en contra de la Intolerancia. It´s a non-profit group that tries to prevent discrimination of all types. This is on option to do a little volunteer work this fall before those of us remaining for the year have a full-fledged internship in the spring.

Valentín was quite nice (despite being a Madrileño). That´s a joke, in case I have any Madrilño readers, which I highly doubt. And starting next week, I´ll be volunteering two hours a week there on Tuesday mornings. I´m not entirely sure what exactly the work will be yet. Probably at first it will be some translating type stuff. This organization works closely with other similar organizations in other countries and has a newsletter that goes out in English as well as Spanish (if I understood everything correctly, which is highly doubtful). So I might be working with that. I think later on, we´ll actually get to go with people from this group to schools to give presentations about tolerance and non-discrimination. Sounds cool.

Classes at the Universidad start next week in the mornings as well, so that means I´ll have something in the mornings every day. A busier schedule isn´t exactly ideal, but I´m excited for everything I´ll be doing, so it should be a cool week!

No comments:

Post a Comment