Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Birthday Bemusement

So, as many of you know, yesterday was my birthday. I thought I'd take a blog post and reflect on some of the interesting tidbits from the day. Please feel free to stop reading whenever you get bored.

First of all, I will say that I sincerely appreciated the birthday wishes from everyone. It was nice to be able to check facebook every 30 minutes and have had someone new (or several new people) post on my wall. It made me feel loved, so well done friends! To those of you who didn't write me a lovely birthday note, what the hell is wrong with you?!!!! No, I'm just kidding. It becomes so overwhelming I don't even remember who said "happy birthday" and who didn't. (Don't let that deter you from posting next year, however.)

The highlight of my day was definitely the (assumed) senility of my grandmother. In the morning, after breakfast, I checked my mail and I had a birthday card from her. I opened it, and lucky me, it contained money! Then later on in the day, I had another card from her, and lo and behold, it also contained money! As it turned out, she just didn't want to send all the money in one card in case it got lost or stolen or something, but I just assumed she forget she had sent the first one, so sent a second one. It brought some amusement thinking about that.

Some people are very critical of celebrating birthdays. Why should you celebrate something you don't have any sense of accomplishment about? I sometimes float towards that way of thinking, but when it's my birthday, I always think about how nice it is to feel special for a day. And it really is. Why shouldn't we be allowed one day per year to celebrate ourselves? It was lovely walking around campus and hearing "happy birthdays" from everyone.

And today, I got another treat because it is RA appreciation day, meaning I get to celebrate myself twice in two days!

And because it's me, I find it difficult to post without a little bit of football news. So the surprise of the day (no, not that Man U kept their 9th? consecutive clean sheet against Fulham) was that Deportivo lost 0-3 at AaB Aalborg from Denmark in the first leg of their UEFA Cup tie. Quite shocking really, given Deportivo's form in La Liga. The Scandanavian teams do have a history of performing surprsingly well in European competition. I seem to remember Norweigian side Rosenborg getting two results against Chelsea last year in the group stages of the Champion's League, but my memory could be misserving me.

No comments:

Post a Comment