Thursday, February 5, 2009

Stupid English, Vol. 2

In preparation for the Public Affairs Symposium event in ten days when Danny Glover and Felix Justice will play the roles of two important civil rights activists, we, today, looked over the pamphlet describing this event, along with the other two. There was a discrepency over comma placement surrounding the name of the activist portrayed by Felix Justice, Martin Luther King, Jr.

I have, of course, given away part of it already, but I have not yet fully revealed how stupid English can be. Let me first explain the rules of comma placement around the suffix, junior. When adding "Jr." after a person's name, one must place a comma after the last name and before the suffix. Additionally if the sentence continues, a comma is required after the suffix is well. For example, "Martin Luther King, Jr., was an important figure in the civil rights movement." I was actually wrong about this. I thought, and still think, that the comma after Jr. is superfluous. Yet this is the rule, and as such, I will abide by it, for it cannot possibly create any confusion.

There is another rule, similar to this one, which does elucidate the stupidity of English. Imagine if Martin Luther King, Jr., had a son named Martin Luther King III (I know, then Martin Luther King, Jr., would be Martin Luther King II, but bear with me). I have already revealed the conundrum. When the suffix is III or XIII, as in King Henry, a comma is not required before the suffix or after. "King Henry XIII had eight wives," is punctuationally correct. Why? Beats the hell out of me. To anyone who doesn't see an incosistency or wishes to explain the reasoning why would be most welcome.

Also, in case you don't believe me, check out this link:
http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000084.htm

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for providing a way for me to procrastinate for an hour or so! :D On to Spanish homework I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martin Luther King Junior did have a son named Martin Luther King III, didn't he? Therefore, one would not have to imagine.

    ReplyDelete