Monday, July 4, 2011

A Different Type of Union: Why Gay Marriage is a Mixed Blessing

I never much liked the idea of marriage, a phenomenon perhaps related to my phobia of commitment. But since I first started learning about the history of marriage and reading political philosophy about three years ago, the idea of marriage has been on a one way path to repugnance in my mind. So the recent adoption of a law permitting gay marriage in the state of New York I count as something of a mixed blessing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that millions more people now have the same rights as everyone else. Those rights have long been overdue. And the more places where those rights are granted makes it that much harder to deny them elsewhere. But the question is whether the right to marriage is a right that was worth fighting for in the first place. I wonder if in the push for acceptance and equality, the queer rights movement forgot to be adequately discerning about which rights to pursue.

As an atheist and a social libertarian (meaning libertarian about individual social choices), I find the institution of governmentally recognized marriage oppressive. Marriage is almost always celebrated religiously. Most marriage ceremonies take place in a church, temple, mosque, or other place of worship, and they are most often conducted by a minister, rabbi, or other religious official. The fact that there is even an argument that suggests that marriage itself is a religious term should be evidence enough of the term's association with religion. And if the government abides by its stated intention to separate church and state, it should not be engaged in the promotion of religion at the expense of non-religion.

But the social libertarian argument is even stronger. Why should the government condone some lifestyles when the alternatives present no threat to the stability, functioning, order, or peace of society? I don't care about the sex, gender, or number of partners you have, nor do I care about how much time you spend with any of them, whether those relationships be simultaneously or successively. It doesn't have any impact whatsoever on my life. So why does the government encourage marriage with tax incentives?

The gay rights movement is the perfect place to raise issues of governmental overreach on social issues. The government has no business barring people from certain rights based on sexual orientation. And so the faults of governmental regulation extending certain rights only to heterosexual couples have been exposed by the struggle for gay rights. But the struggle for gay rights could have argued that legislating incentives for certain lifestyles is completely uncalled for. Instead, it has merely asked that those incentives be extended to be more inclusive.

The government does probably have some interest in knowing whom is responsible for the raising of children as well as whom is responsible for medical decisions in the event that an individual becomes incapacitated. But in neither of those scenarios is marriage necessary. Children could be raised collectively, as in the societies of some indigenous peoples on this continent. It is already possible to designate another individual to whom one isn't married to make health decisions. The government can do all of that without having a designated status on the relationship between the two people.

Maybe I want my best friend to make my health decisions in the event of my inability to do so. Maybe a man whose wife dies wants his brother to become the second legal guardian of his children. Maybe three women want to form a union and live together and have sex together and raise children together. None of these things should be proscribed by the government. That they are is a tremendous breach of individual liberties. And while the gay rights movement had the opportunity to challenge so many of these fundamental assumptions, it has instead settled for mere acceptance into the box.

This is by no means a condemnation of the gay rights movement. It is strong, and it has overcome tremendous hurdles. This is a call to awareness about the next step we must take in the struggle for equality. Good job to the gay rights movement of New York, but this is just the beginning of getting government out of our personal decisions.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Bloomy,

    I like your post, but I can't say I agree. I don't think marriage must be inherently religious. Many things have roots (or titles) in religion and then become "secularized". I agree that government's use of the word "marriage" presents a danger to the division of church and state, but I disagree as to what that danger is. As government becomes more involved in "marriage", that word's significance moves farther and farther away from religion. Government may be co-opting the institution of marriage, which could be viewed as a problem in its own right, but that doesn't seem to me like the promotion of religion "at the expense of non-religion". If anything, it seems like the weaking of religion at the hands of government.

    Secondly, there is significant evidence that raising children in a two parent household is beneficial to the child by almost every measure; he or she is happier, more satisfied, more financially succesful, etc. Actually, I have no idea if said studies actually exist, but they probably do and I would be wont to believe them. Whatever the studies show, my point is that this is not simply a question of theory. If a certain social arrangement is beneficial to many members of society, then it doesn't seem unreasonable to incentivize that arrangement. In short, perhaps marriage does in fact impact the "functioning, order, and peace" of society. I don't know the facts. Until I do, I'll lean towards the side that assumes that the norm of the two-parent household is better for most children and thus society at large.

    Lastly, I wonder what the law says concerning rights to make health decisions, etc. I would imagine that you could write a contract to allow your best friend to make those health decisions...but I'm not sure. My impression was that individuals could enter contracts that grant the rights associated with marriage, but that the government has a standardized contractual agreement known as "marriage" to make easier and incentivize a certain behavior (marriage). Am I wrong on that?

    -Josh

    ReplyDelete
  2. But who says marriage has anything to do with living arrangements or child-raising. I could be married to someone and not live with that person. I could not be married to someone and raise children with that person. Two straight dudes could live together and raise children together. But they might not want to marry. The problem is that our concept of marriage entails too many things. It seems to signify two people, that they have sex together, that they live together, and that they constitute a family unit - i.e., can raise children together. Why must all of these things be tied together. So while it might be true that having two adults around is better for the development of the child, I very much doubt that whether or not those adults are having sex has any impact whatsoever on the well-being of the child.

    You allude to the idea of marriage as incentive to engage in behavior that is beneficial to society. I think you're right - that's the standard argument for marriage. What I am arguing is that there are myriad ways to organize a family unit, and a standardized (your word) arrangement almost certainly hasn't taken into account all of the other potential options. It is a constricting set of norms. With the advent of birth control and the growing acceptance of previously "deviant" sexualities, the idea that your sexual partner and your living partner (presumably the person with whom you raise children) have to be the same person is quickly becoming a historical anachronism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...knowing who is responsible." The relative pronoun who/whom is governed by the relative clause, not by the sentence at large.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I appreciate grammar advice and am, myself, something of a grammatical snob, I prefer to know from whom such advice comes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "It doesn't have any impact whatsoever on my life. So why does the government discourage marriage with tax incentives?"
    Do you mean encourage? Not trying to be super-correcting-girl, just wanted to point out what seems to be an error to make your post better. :)
    This also seems to have a typo: It is already possible to identify another individual to whom was isn't married to make health decisions.

    As always, your post was interesting and well written. Please do not feel obligated to allow this comment to be posted to your blog. I wrote it to give you a heads up, not announce mistakes that likely were the result of typing too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Corrected. To whom do I owe the thanks?

    ReplyDelete