Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Annoying library-goers

I know what you're thinking: "It's 1:00 on inauguration day, Barack Obama just got sworn in, you said you were going to talk about politics in your blog, and this, of all entries, is about something as insignificant as annoying library-goers!" Of course I watched the inauguration, and of course I will talk about politics, but I decided to give BO (no, that's not body odor) a one day grace period before I dismantle his ineffective policies. So Mr. Obama, today's your lucky day. (I am a liberal, but I'm not going to hold back in my criticisms of Mr. Obama.)

I came to the library after the inauguration - didn't feel like going back to the dorm for 45 minutes before class. I simply intended to check my e-mail, catch up on any other news that had happened this morning, and do that philosophy assignment I talked about in my last entry, yet I was rudely interrupted. I sat down next to a friend of mine, and we're both there working on our computers when this girl comes in and sits down at the computer across from me. There are plenty of open computer stations, but I don't fault her for picking that one - it was the most convenient to the entrance, and obviously, she isn't the type of person to be inconvenienced.

Most people carry their cell-phones on vibrate these days. You acn usually hear it in addition to feeling it, and that way it doesn't disturb others. Even more people, who don't normally have their phones on this setting, change it to vibrate upon entering a quiet place like, say, the LIBRARY! So her phone goes off, loudly, with an annoying ringtone, some pop song that's obviously too cool for people like me. At least she answered it quickly, but rather than saying, "Hey, I'm in the library, I'll call you later," she proceeds to have a five minute conversation.

Now we all get annoyed by these things with, according to some people, far too much frequency, yet I would argue that we have every right to be annoyed anytime something like this happens. What she is really saying is, "This phone conversation is more important than the ease with which the six people around me complete their work." I am more important than they are. Now some people are more important than six other people - say Barack Obama. If he wanted to chat on his cell-phone and disrupt my library time while solving America's problems, I would have no issues with that. But to talk about what you got for lunch!!! Come on. I had a turkey sandwich, but I don't know everyone in the library to know about it. (It was a good one, too, in case you cared, which you don't, but I'm subjecting you, my voluntary readers, to the same type of annoyance.)

Ironically, this young woman just left, allowing me to see, on the wall behind where she was sitting, a "no cell phones please" sign. No joke.

1 comment:

  1. I've had a similar experience, only I was in the ultra-quiet section or whatever it's called. The person had a ten minute conversation and everyone around them kept giving them dirty looks. They didn't even try to hang up or go somewhere else. I was tempted to get up and take the phone...

    ReplyDelete